The 80's- What a Decade!!!

The 80's- What a Decade!!!
The 80's!-- What a Decade

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Those were the Days...These are the Days

I recently turned 31. And the other day I was hanging around a younger, college type crowd. A younger kid asked me if I missed being in college and being in my early 20's. I didn't want to get into a long, philosophical conversation with this 20-year-old kid so I said something along the lines of... "Yeah man, those were the days. Best time of my life...."

But honestly, truthfully, I don't miss those days. And I think it's kind a shame when people say that.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed being 18-19 years old. In college, trying to get beer with a terrible ID, girls, balancing school and work. Wondering what party to go to. Good times.

I also enjoyed being 21 and getting to gamble legally, out of the house, still school and work, more freedom. Good stuff.

When I was 23 I started my teaching career and I look back at those days fondly. I was single, my career was just starting, I was coaching, having a great time.

Mid 20's I owned my car outright, my insurance premium was coming down, it took longer to get over a hangover, I felt more comfortable in my job, and life was good.

Late 20's was great too. Even better actually. Got married, making more money, new house. Life's good.

Now, I'm 31. Happily married. Awesome wife. Kid on the way. Still no car payment. Making 40% more money than when I started my career, 2nd job which I enjoy, good friends and good health insurance (something a 20 year old could care less about).

See, the thing is, I don't miss those days when I was younger. They were great times but I actually prefer being 31. My life is better. And I think if an individual works hard and values the right things, then life does get better with age. Or, it can get better with age. I don't feel like I peaked at 22 and I don't ever wish I was in high school again. Those days are gone, and although I look back on them with fondness, but I don't long for them. Life's good for this 31 year old. Hell, bring on 40! No, No. I take that back. Let's enjoy the 30's....

No comments:

Post a Comment