The 80's- What a Decade!!!

The 80's- What a Decade!!!
The 80's!-- What a Decade

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Expressions

Why do people(strangers) say "How are you?" when honestly, they don't really care? I do it too. And I know you do it as well. We all do it. We always say it. "How are you?" "How are you today?" Are you really interested? Is anyone really interested?

And why do people say "be safe"? How do you 'be safe" exactly? I mean, don't we always try to 'be safe' and when people (or your mom when you were a kid) say 'be safe' do we really conciously go "oh, ok, i'm going to be safe because they said so this time. Normally I'm not safe. But since that lady said 'be safe' I'll be safe just this time."

And what does " good night" mean exactly? Does that mean "hey man, brush your teeth, sleep well and I hope you wake up tomorrow morning"? Is that a good night? Or do you have to have a really sweet dream to have a 'good night'?

Interesting how many expressions that we use on a daily basis that are, quite frankly, ridiculous. I love the "I don't know" excuse we all use when we don't have a reason as to why we did or didn't do something. Instead of having a reason we resort to "I don't know..."

My wife- "Derek, why didn't you take out the trash?" My response: "I don't know."

Response I should give: "I didn't want to because I'm lazy, tired and walking 15 feet to take the trash out really wasn't on my agenda at the exact moment that you asked me to take the trash out."

My wife- "Why are you being sarcastic?" Me- "I don't know."

1 comment:

  1. This might be one of my favorite posts! I think this all of the time, especially being in retail, we always ask "how are you today?" We don't really want to know, so why do we ask? Is it really polite if we don't really care? I am so glad you are back to blogging!

    ReplyDelete