The 80's- What a Decade!!!

The 80's- What a Decade!!!
The 80's!-- What a Decade

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Welcome to America!

Recently I was at the airport picking up a friend of mine- Cole Martin. He’s awesome and also a blogger but this blog isn’t about him. As I went into the airport I began one of my favorite pastimes- People Watching. I don’t know why I love doing this but I do. It doesn’t matter where I’m at or what I’m doing but people watching is so fun. Basically, it’s watching people that don’t know you’re watching them. I guess the law calls that stalking. Whatever. The airport- and Las Vegas in general- is a wonderful place to watch people. Actually, the more I think about it, Las Vegas could be the capital of the world for people watching.

Well, I came upon a couple who was really excited about being in Vegas. As I got closer to them I realized something was different. They were French. They were speaking French. And then it hit me. I wonder how many people come to Las Vegas for their first stay in the United States. My god! Can you imagine? A person coming to the United States for the very first time and they get off the plane and they walk into an airport full of slot machines, half-naked advertisements, and tuxedo clad limo drivers looking for wealthy people. They then get to walk outside, get in a cab and see the LV strip. I mean don’t get me wrong, we could do worse as a nation than Vegas as our representative, but I’m just not so sure LV is the best, most honest, representation of our great country. I guess it beats Yuma, Ariz. or El Paso, TX but what a culture shock it would be to come to the States for the first time via Sin City.

Is there really anything American about Las Vegas? Does Las Vegas encompass the American Dream? Who knows? Who am I to say? I love it here but I also know this place is, well, crazy. And it’s also very unique which is one of the reasons I love this place. Where else can you eat a steak at four in the morning? Or drink beer at 7 a.m. with other people? Where else will you find millions of hotel rooms that are rarely empty? I could go on but this isn’t a blog about Las Vegas. I just don't want foreigners getting upset when they visit Detroit and their asking where the MGM Grand is.

Next time you’re at the airport in Vegas look around. And look at anyone that looks foreign and ask yourself- is this their first time in America?

More importantly, who told them- if you really want to experience the U.S. then go to Las Vegas, NV. Ha ha…

No comments:

Post a Comment