The 80's- What a Decade!!!

The 80's- What a Decade!!!
The 80's!-- What a Decade

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

THE PRICE IS RIGHT



Because I work full time like most people in the real world, I don't get much time to watch my all-time favorite game show- The Price is Right. There's no greater joy than catching an hour-long episode of TPIR. Although I miss the legend that is Bob Barker, and may Rod Roddy rest in peace, I do still enjoy Drew Carey. It took me a while to get used to him, but I do like him. I have noticed he's not as open to big large woman groping him and kissing him as Bob Barker was, but hey, what can you do? At least he doesn't have to wear as much make up as Bob. Pros and Cons to both guys....

When I was a kid some of my best memories growing up were watching the TPIR at 10 a.m.- that is, when I was sick and couldn't make it to school. I used to get so happy when Plinko was played. Now, you can win like 50 grand from that game (no one ever does), but when I was a little whipper-snapper the most you could win was 25 grand (no one ever did). I also liked that game where the yodeling music was played in the background while that mountain climber climbed up the mountain. If he didn't fall off the mountain you won! If he fell, then you got the losing chime as you walked off stage.

A few things that annoyed me.... It always pissed me off when people would bid a dollar and it would annoy me when old people couldn't spin the wheel all the way around. I also wasn't a fan when someone was so damn excited when the prize was introduced... "A brand new car!...." And the chubby college kid was going nuts and I was always thinking, hey moron, you haven't won anything yet. Rod Roddy didn't say "you won a brand new car!" He said you 'could' win "a brand new car!" So calm down genius, you have to play- and win- the game first. And usually when a car was the prize the game was pretty tough.

All in all TPIR is a classic, and everyone should watch it.

Random note- when I lived in California for a year in 98, my friend Mike O"Rourke and I got free tickets to the show and we never went. I have very few regrets in my life but that is one of them....

1 comment: