The 80's- What a Decade!!!

The 80's- What a Decade!!!
The 80's!-- What a Decade

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Happy Birthday Mags!


This blog is dedicated to Margaret aka “Mags!” who recently turned the big 3-0! She’s thirty! I got the chance to talk with Mags yesterday and she said she followed my blog. I almost teared up. When I get wind of a new blog follower I get all tingly inside like how I feel when a new season of The Bachelor is premiering.

Actually, now that I think about it, I have more Texas-based followers than I do Vegas followers. Maybe I do need to move to Texas. Cole “delicious“ Martin and Dana “stay golden” Heathcott are also true followers. I love them. These 3 people are very good friends of mine. I married into their friendship but these people are so awesome that had I not met Erin before them then perhaps it would be Margaret Stafford or Dana Mangy Stafford or Derek Martin. I mean, who knows?

Well, every October they come out to Vegas, and it’s a celebration known as VegasFest. By marrying Erin, also a Texan, I married into VegasFest. So, I am a proud member, but not a founding member. I try my best though.

VegasFest is a Tilt-Induced weekend of craziness, sloppiness, poor eating, neighbor cop calling and debauchery. (Side note: Tilt is a flavored malt liquor that tastes like orange or lime soda and beer mixed together) By drinking this miracle drink you are guaranteed the following things in no particular order- a strong buzz, heart-burn, heart-palpitations, gas, a hangover, a great time, and your night will probably end at Sonic Burger. And while driving home from Sonic Burger you might find yourself singing the theme song to “Who’s the Boss?” If those are things you want in your night- or your life- then please go get yourself a Tilt. Mags likes the orange, Erin likes the green. Cole doesn’t care, Dana doesn’t either. I just like ‘em cold.

Me and Mags- sorry Mags- never seem to have the same energy level as Dana and Cole and Erin. I will never forget 3 VegasFests ago when I woke up in my bed, alone. I was dreaming of Kelly Kapowski or something like that, and I wondered where everyone was? Well, I went to check the scene and Margaret was asleep on the living room air mattress. Probably nursing her soon to be hangover. Dana, Cole, Erin , and our friend James were telling jokes, throwing empty beer bottles in the pool, blasting Maroon 5, and dancing on the diving board.

Just last year, the exact repeat happened. I woke up, made my way outside, and it was a sight. Dana, Cole, Mags, my lovely wife, and James (who just got off his graveyard shift) were drinking beers and smoking cigarettes. They were swearing, slurring, laughing and having what seemed like the time of their lives! Unfortunately, it was 8:00 in the morning. Some people would consider this a problem. But who was I to judge? I cracked open a cold one and started making omelets.

I also remember the time Cole turned into Roger Miller before my very eyes at the Ellis Island. Maybe I should start calling Cole, Cole "king of the road" Martin.

Well anyway, here’s to Mags- and Cole and “Mangy” Dana! I’m having a Tilt for you guys and I can’t wait til our next VegasFest.

Until then sing with me:

Thank you for being a friend 
Traveled down the road and back again 
Your heart is true your a pal and a confidant. 

And if you through a party 
Invited everyone you ever knew 
You would see the biggest gift would be from me 
And the card attached would say thank you for being a friend.


1 comment:

  1. Derek. I just read this out loud to the group and everyone thought it was hilarious. Thanks for the laughs! I hope you and Erin had a tilted evening!
    P.S.-Thanks for taking my last name in our potential relationship.

    ReplyDelete