The 80's- What a Decade!!!

The 80's- What a Decade!!!
The 80's!-- What a Decade

Friday, January 8, 2010

PC

The other day I was driving and I heard an advertisement on the radio. It was an AM station. I pretty much listen only to talk radio nowadays. It means I'm getting old. I don't know. I haven't had an FM station on in my car in a couple years. Anyway, I heard a spot for a car dealership and the guy said something along the lines of, "come look at our huge inventory of 'pre-owned' cars." It made me laugh. We live in such a world that we can't call things what they are. USED car in this case. By somehow calling it a 'pre-owned' car does that make it better, or soften the blow that the car sucks?

Our society has become so politically correct and so soft that it really makes me laugh. Since I'm in education, here's one that makes me tickle- GUEST Teacher. For those of you wondering what that is, it's a friggin Substitute Teacher! Or, to call it what it really is, a sub! By somewhow calling a sub a "guest teacher" I guess kids are supposed to honor and respect that teacher more. It's so absurd.

I also heard this one the other day- learning difference. Instead of learning disability, teachers are now saying that "so and so" has a learning difference. Funny, isn't it? I don't know when it was that Americans got so offended by specific terms. Nobody wants to hurt anyobody's feelings these days. America as a whole is getting soft. So next time instead of calling people fat I think i'm going to say "exercise disabled" or "gym deficient". Hey, why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment